Pages

14 January 2014

Early January Garden 2014

I saw this little toadstool? and more just like it growing under the asparagus when I was cutting away the dead stalks.
It is a Geastrum.  Many kinds are commonly known as earth stars, I found another here.


The pineapple sage is in full bloom in the tunnel.


These Asparagus were planted 2 or 3 years ago and the spears are not as fat as the older plants.
Asparagus plants will live for 20 years or more although I dug up our first outdoor bed after 10 years and now only grow it in the tunnels under the peach trees.
 I find I have little or no trouble with perennial weeds or slugs in the tunnels.


 A few of the asparagus plants in the tunnel think it is spring.

First early potatoes are on the kitchen windowsill to chit.

Garlic is up. The garlic bed was mulched with the shredded corn stalks.

Leeks to harvest.

Alfie was biting the crab apples right off the tree.

 
I divided the Sedum. The bees love the Sedum, Vine weevil larvae love the Sedum's roots and the hens love the vine weevil. I love the bees, the Sedum, and the hens. The vine weevil is not a problem. 

 Angus and Alfie helped the hens pick out the vine weevil larvae and fed them to the hens.

Another very little toadstool growing in an old Sedum stalk.
This is one of the newly planted divisions.